June 20, 2011

Clover Club Cocktail

I first tasted this cocktail a humid summer night in the wonderful cocktail bar Ruby in Copenhagen.

It was love at first sight/taste and I remember feeling happy that it contains raspberry syrup, because I love making that.

Our very knowledgeable bartender Nick Kobbernagel Hovind told us the story of how this gorgeous pink cocktail was once the favorite of the patrons of a gentleman's club in Philadelphia back when pink was not a girly color.

It's a cocktail containing egg white, something that seems to freak out a lot of people.

I'm so old that in my childhood my brother and I was regularly given a cup with an egg and sugar and then we stirred until it was fluffy and almost white and no "sound" could be heard from sugar crystals caught between spoon and cup.

We lived to tell the tale and I have complete faith in the nice people who sell me eggs.

Others fear they can't shake it hard enough and will encounter the egg white as a blop of slime at the bottom of the cocktail glass.

Fear not, just follow the instructions.

  • 5 cl gin
  • 1 cl fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cl raspberry syrup*
  • 1 egg white
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and do a one minute dry shake. Then add ice and shake for a further two minutes.

Strain into glass taking care to layer the gorgeous white foam on top.

* Raspberry syrup: In a small sauce pan add a good handful of fresh raspberries, half a handful of white sugar and 1 dl water. Also add a sprig of rosemary, a twig of lavender and a piece of star anis. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 2 minutes. Strain and press all liquid of the pulp of fruit with the back of a spoon. Pour into small bottle and let cool.

1 comment:

  1. I love a Clover Club, but I use a recipe that is similar to the one used by the bar called The Clover Club in Brooklyn NY. It includes some vermouth, which makes all the difference.

    Clover Club
    **Serves 2

    4 oz gin
    1 oz dry vermouth
    1 ½ oz lemon juice
    1 ½ oz raspberry syrup
    1 egg white

    ReplyDelete